Friday 12 April 2013

A visit to the dentist

This is something we have both put off for too long, partly because of the language problem but also I have to admit to waiting for the 183 days initial period before the insurance kicks in.

I have to say I any very impressed with the whole service, here in France you don't have to sign up with a particular dentist you just have to make an appointment with any one that suits you.

We went to one in our village as It is close to home, ( I could even walk if I wanted to ) we both called in together to make an appointment and were offered one within 3 or 4 days, something that is practically unknown in the UK I think.


This morning we went for an examination and check up to see what needed to be done, Avril needed one small filling replaced which he did on the spot, I needed 3 or 4, he sorted out the most urgent one straight away and offered me a choice of days during the next week to carry on the treatment.
I am more than impressed.
In addition, both of us agreed afterwards that it was probably the best dental treatment we had ever had I didn't even realise I had had an injection until my gum started going numb. He also took several x rays all of which he processed immediately on the computer in the room and used for reference.

The way the system works over here is you have to show your "Carte Vitale" ( your health card ) and pay for the treatment, approximately 70% of this is refunded to your bank account within 3-4 days and the balance from the Insurance, again direct to your bank a couple of days later.

1 comment:

  1. Michael, the French certainly seem to put a priority on health - still I absolutely hate going to the dentist - and can't imagine why anyone would want to be one!

    ReplyDelete