Saturday 24 March 2012

Don't give up the day job!

Well I did promise to publish photos good or bad, let's just say that I haven't any good ones :) I can't say my first attempt at ploughing was a 100% and I certainly won't be entering ploughing competitions but I suppose it is all turned over, something I could never have done without it

My biggest problem was that the turned turf and soil quite often didn't turn completely over and fell back in the furrow. This had the result that when I ran down the furrow with the next pass the turf didn't have a furrow to fall into properly and it happened all aver again. Here is a video of my first attempt:

In hindsight this was probably because the field had never been ploughed before so I am not too disappointed, what I shall do is to wait a few days for it to dry a bit in the sun then flatten and break it down with the rotavator attachment, I may well plough it again then and I suspect that the second time I won't have the same problem.


The end result


Of course if anyone reading this can tel me why some of it was falling back into the furrow I would love to hear from them..

2 comments:

  1. Wow! - Thats got some amazing strength to it. I think that once you get the hang of it, it will be great. Compared to digging by hand its chalk and cheese. Will be interesting to see how it compares in a year or two once you've got the ground already prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be having loads of fun. I love your shiny red tractor and you've done a great job making the plough look good too. Had a giggle over your ploughing and also wondering just how many spuds etc you are planning to grow???!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete