Friday 13 January 2012

Foraging

I was walking around the bottom end of a small meadow on the other side of our stream when I noticed a couple of small crab apples on the ground, when I picked them up I realised that there were quite a few there covered with the leaves that had fallen.
In the end I picked up about half a bucket full. Although they were pretty small we don't like for anything to go to waste so Avril had a go at making some Crab Apple Jelly. It was absolutely gorgeous! and something I had never tasted before
 
For anyone interested in giving it a go here are the details.

  • Wash the apples
  • Cut off any bad skin
  • put in to large pan
  • barely cover with water
  • cover and simmer until soft
  • Strain through a piece of muslin
  • Measure out 1 cup of juice to 3/4 cup of sugar
  • dissolve juice and sugar slowly
  • Then bring to rapid boil
  • keep testing small amount in a saucer until setting
  • Pour into warm sterilized jars and seal
  • Store in cool place
The roses, azalea, carnation in the picture were all from our garden today.

1 comment: